Dear Friends & Colleagues,
Welcome to the online home of the American Viola Society. We are an organization dedicated to celebrating and promoting the viola, its repertoire, performers, teachers, luthiers and history. We welcome anyone and everyone from all walks of life who share in these interests to join us.
We invite you to explore our website and discover the many offerings the AVS provides to our members and the community at large. The AVS board is hard at work to bring you more content and resources including the following initiatives:
- Launch a capital campaign to raise funding for tuition scholarships, teaching fellowships, sponsorships for recording projects, commissions of new works, and research grants, 40% of which will be dedicated to Black, Brown, Indigenous, and People of Color living in the United States. (This percentage corresponds with the statistics provided by the US Census Bureau and will be updated accordingly.)
- Sponsor an award specifically for Black, Brown, Indigenous, and People of Color at the Primrose International Viola Competition and instate new repertoire requirements that include compositions written by BBIPOC composers;
- Develop and Maintain a Database of Viola Compositions by Underrepresented Composers that will include works by Black, Brown, Indigenous, and People of Color;
- Collaborate with external organizations on anti-racist initiatives aimed toward providing equal opportunity throughout the viola world;
- Host the rescheduled 2020 Festival, now to be held in 2021, a mini-Festival event alongside the 2021 Primrose International Viola Competition, and the 2022 Festival
- Continue to develop our educational guides and resources
As we make progress on these goals, our website will be updated accordingly, so check back regularly to see the new content available to you. Some items are only available to current members, if you haven’t yet joined us, please consider doing so.
Your membership allows us to produce two print editions of Journal of the American Viola Society each year, provide instruments to students through our viola bank, support our competitions for performance, composition and research, our biennial Festival, and numerous initiatives that we hope to unveil in the coming year.
As a member, your benefits include:
- Two print issues of the Journal of the American Viola Society
- Annual issue of JAVS Online
- Members-only content including scores, audio, and video recordings
- Full access to the growing AVS library of pedagogical materials
- Free web advertising in the online Marketplace
- Complimentary listing in the AVS National Teacher Directory
- Ability to submit viola news and events for online posting
- Access to American Viola Society competitions, including: Primrose International Viola Competition, Dalton Viola Research Competition, Gardner Composition Competition, Orchestral Excerpts, Viola Ensemble and Youth Competitions
- Being able to attend our biennial Viola Festivals. This international festival is a relatively new venture for the AVS
- The opportunity to apply for a loaned instrument through the Viola Bank
- An opportunity to make your voice heard, and influence the direction of the society
- and… an opportunity to increase your network of friends in the viola family!
If you are still wondering if this is an organization for you, feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear your input and help you find a place in our organization. If you use Facebook, feel free to follow our Group and Page discussions. We look forward to hearing from you!
Yours in all things supporting the Alto Clef,